|Welcome to the second edition of Integrity Matters – the e-bulletin that keeps producers informed about the Australian red meat integrity system. In this edition we are focusing on sharing important information about upcoming changes to the Livestock Production Assurance (LPA) program.
The changes to the LPA program stem from the most recent industry SAFEMEAT Initiatives Review. This involved considerable consultation with the red meat industry on key changes required to strengthen our integrity systems. The changes being implemented on October 1 2017 include:
- on-farm biosecurity and animal welfare practices will be included in the LPA program
- new online learning modules are available to upskill producers
- further roll out of an electronic National Vendor Declaration (eNVD) system for producer ease and improved traceability
- producers will pay a $60 (+GST) accreditation fee once every three years to ensure financial security of the LPA progam
- to become LPA accredited or to renew accreditation, producers will need to complete a regular assessment to support their understanding of program requirements.
These changes are designed to ensure you can have access to the maximum number of markets for your livestock, and will give you the evidence to stand by what you sell.
Below you will find more information to help you understand what you need to do on-farm to meet the new LPA requirements. We ask you to read this information carefully. It’s critical that you understand your responsibilities and the integral part you play in promoting and protecting our industry’s reputation.
If you’re seeking additional information or have questions, please visit the Integrity Hub, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone the hotline on 1800 683 111.
Dr Jane Weatherley
Chief Executive Officer
Integrity Systems Company